My Dollar Tree canvas idea using stickers is such an easy and inexpensive craft to make. They’re perfect for using to make canvas wall art!
If you’re an avid Dollar Tree shopper, then you have seen the section of wall stickers they sell, and if you haven’t you’re missing out!
Dollar Tree sells a variety of themed decals that stick to the wall, but I use them for crafting. I used their butterfly stickers on my memo board thrift store upcycle.
Today’s post is part of a dollar store craft challenge that I’m participating in with 6 other bloggers. We’re each sharing an inexpensive craft with all of our readers so that you can recreate our crafts on your own. Be sure to click the links found at the bottom of this post to view 6 more craft ideas!
DOLLAR TREE CANVAS IDEA USING STICKERS
I chose to use a couple of my mermaid wall decals for my canvas craft project. I have lots more mermaids left over from the sticker sheet to use for future crafting, too.
Visit different Dollar Tree store locations to see a wider variety as I sometimes find different sticker themes when shopping from store to store.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- Dollar Tree wall stickers
- artist canvas
- craft paint
- Mod Podge
- painter’s tape
- foam paint brushes
- artist brush
PICTURES LEAD TO PRODUCTS:
I used my 2-pack canvas, purchased from Michael’s, that was already in my stash that I wanted to use up, but Dollar Tree also carries thin board canvas that will work well with their stickers. I like theirs also and used it to make my watermelon button canvas craft.
HOW TO MAKE DOLLAR TREE WALL ART
STEP 1: MEASURE AND TAPE OFF
- Lightly mark the center of your canvas using a ruler and pencil.
- I marked in 3 different areas to keep the tape correctly centered.
- Place the painter’s tape on the canvas so that the center of the tape is centered on top of your pencil mark.
- Add another strip of tape next to the first strip, then add another strip of tape next to that one.
- Peel off the middle strip from the 3 tape strips. Continue like so until you end up with it looking like the photo below.
- If you are using the type of canvas I used with the visible edge, continue taping over as seen below.
- I wanted the canvas sides and back to have neat and finished stripes as well.
STEP 2: PAINT STRIPES
- Use the foam brush to paint 2 coats on the canvas sides and back.
- Once dry, paint 2 coats on the front side.
- Pull up tape which will reveal white stripes as seen in the photo below.
- Make sure the painted stripes are completely dry before going to step 3.
STEP 3: APPLY MORE TAPE
- Place painter’s tape on top of your painted color which leaves the white stripes visible.
- Paint 2 coats of your second color on back, sides and front.
- Remove tape.
HOW TO PUT DOLLAR TREE STICKERS ON CANVAS
STEP 1: CHOOSE YOUR STICKER
- To avoid any wrinkling or tearing mishaps, cut around your sticker.
- Carefully remove the decal from the backing.
STEP 2: APPLY MOD PODGE
- Place the sticker in your desired location.
- Lift up half and apply Mod Podge underneath on the canvas, then likewise for the other half.
- Press down and smooth out the sticker.
- Apply Mod Podge over the entire canvas and let dry.
- The Mod Podge will dry clear.
Depending upon what type of canvas you use, you can add sawtooth hangers on the back or attach ribbon on the back for hanging.
I love my mermaid Dollar Tree canvas idea using stickers. It’s a super cute craft idea, isn’t it?!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE MY OTHER CANVAS CRAFTS:
BELOW, CLICK THE TITLE LINKS TO VIEW THE DOLLAR STORE CRAFTS SHARED FROM YOUR BLOGGER CO-HOSTS!
Beverly | Across the Blvd
Gail | Purple Hues and Me
Allyson | Southern Sunflowers
Marci | Stone Cottage Adventures
T’onna | Sew Crafty Crochet
Niki | Life as an LEO Wife
Terri | Our Good Life
Dollar Tree Coastal Drink Tray DIY
Dollar Store Butterfly Door Hanger DIY
DIY Dollar Tree Garden Greenhouse
Dollar Tree Canvas Idea Using Stickers (that’s me)
Sharing my Mermaid Canvas Idea at the following fabulous blogs!
These are so cute!! I would never have thought of using wall stickers on canvas but that is a great idea.
Thank you, Joanne! I have lots more of the Dollar Tree wall stickers to use in the future. I think I’m getting addicted to buying them. 🙂
Love your Dollar Tree art. Congratulations, you are being featured on Thursday Favorite Things.
I hope you stop by.
Thanks so much for featuring my Dollar Tree mermaids, Bev!
This is such a great idea, Allyson. I love how you took simple dollar store items and turned them into fun decor pieces.
Thanks, Beverly! I went to the Dollar Tree today to buy 1 specific item, and I left there with 22 items. Ugh!
Such a great idea!! They are so cute!! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!! I really appreciate it!!
Thanks Debbie! Glad you like my Dollar Tree craft. 🙂
Michele Morin says
Super cute! I especially like the stripes!
Thank you, Michele! Glad you like my Dollar Tree canvas. I love stripes like I love my dots and checks ~ I probably use them too much lol. Thanks for dropping by!
Terri Steffes says
This is super cute home decor. I can see this in a kid’s room for sure! I love the way you made the canvas, too, I could use that design for multiple projects. I have to see if I can find those stickers at my DT and what all else they have.
Terri, glad you like my stripes painted on the canvas. They are one of my favorite designs to use in crafts ~ right up there with dots and checks.
Sew Crafty Crochet says
Oh my!! I love those mermaid stickers! I’m a sticker addict, and I put stickers on EVERYTHING! LOL Now, I have to go to my local dollar store to see if they have these wall stickers. This is such a great idea! This would be such beautiful wall art for a kid’s room. Pinning!
T’onna, I like Dollar Tree wall stickers because the sheets come with so many stickers that you can have lots left over for more projects or you can make much larger art than I did. Thanks for pinning!
I must admit I have not noticed the wall stickers at Dollar Tree. ‘Gotta find some of those so I can copy your darling canvas ideas! Yours turned out so cute and perfect for summer! pinning for later -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures
Marci, you’ll love the variety of wall stickers Dollar Tree carries! I think they might be in the aisle with the clothespins??? Thanks for pinning!
Niki ~ Life as a LEO Wife says
I love these! My nieces would love something like this! This is such a great idea. You could get large canvases from a craft store and customize art for any room with the wall stickers at Dollar Tree. Thank you for the inspiration! I just added a new collage with your photo of your project to our group.
Glad you love my dollar tree wall art, Niki! Thanks so much for adding me to the group collage.
Gail @Purple Hues and Me says
Doesn’t the Dollar Tree carry the best stickers, Allison? Seems like there are a million and one ways to use them, lol! Your mermaid canvas is so cute and adorable! Love the colors of the stripes you created, too! Quite unique!
Thanks, Gail! Yes, I love their stickers. I have so many more in my stash and more ideas for them than time!