My Dollar Tree canvas idea using stickers is such an easy and inexpensive craft to make. They’re perfect for using to make canvas wall art!
If you’re an avid Dollar Tree shopper, then you have seen the section of wall stickers they sell, and if you haven’t you’re missing out!
Dollar Tree sells a variety of themed decals that stick to the wall, but I use them for crafting. I used their butterfly stickers on my memo board thrift store upcycle.
Today’s post is part of a dollar store craft challenge that I’m participating in with 6 other bloggers. We’re each sharing an inexpensive craft with all of our readers so that you can recreate our crafts on your own.
So, be sure to click the links found at the bottom of this post to view 6 more craft ideas!
DOLLAR TREE CANVAS IDEA USING STICKERS
I chose to use a couple of my mermaid wall decals for my canvas craft project. I have lots more mermaids left over from the sticker sheet to use for future crafting, too.
Visit different Dollar Tree store locations to see a wider variety as I sometimes find different sticker themes when shopping from store to store.
- Dollar Tree wall stickers
- artist canvas
- craft paint
- Mod Podge
- painter’s tape
- foam paint brushes
- artist brush
I used my 2-pack canvas, purchased from Michael’s, that was already in my stash that I wanted to use up, but Dollar Tree also carries thin board canvas that will work well with their stickers. I like theirs also and used it to make my watermelon button canvas craft.
HOW TO MAKE DOLLAR TREE WALL ART
STEP 1: MEASURE AND TAPE OFF
- Lightly mark the center of your canvas using a ruler and pencil.
- I marked in 3 different areas to keep the tape correctly centered.
- Place the painter’s tape on the canvas so that the center of the tape is centered on top of your pencil mark.
- Add another strip of tape next to the first strip, then add another strip of tape next to that one.
- Peel off the middle strip from the 3 tape strips. Continue like so until you end up with it looking like the photo below.
- If you are using the type of canvas I used with the visible edge, continue taping over as seen below.
- I wanted the canvas sides and back to have neat and finished stripes as well.
STEP 2: PAINT STRIPES
- Use the foam brush to paint 2 coats on the canvas sides and back.
- Once dry, paint 2 coats on the front side.
- Pull up tape which will reveal white stripes as seen in the photo below.
- Make sure the painted stripes are completely dry before going to step 3.
STEP 3: APPLY MORE TAPE
- Place painter’s tape on top of your painted color which leaves the white stripes visible.
- Paint 2 coats of your second color on back, sides and front.
- Remove tape.
HOW TO PUT DOLLAR TREE STICKERS ON CANVAS
STEP 1: CHOOSE YOUR STICKER
- To avoid any wrinkling or tearing mishaps, cut around your sticker.
- Carefully remove the decal from the backing.
STEP 2: APPLY MOD PODGE
- Place the sticker in your desired location.
- Lift up half and apply Mod Podge underneath on the canvas, then likewise for the other half.
- Press down and smooth out the sticker.
- Apply Mod Podge over the entire canvas and let dry.
- The Mod Podge will dry clear.
Depending upon what type of canvas you use, you can add sawtooth hangers on the back or attach ribbon on the back for hanging.
I love my mermaid Dollar Tree canvas idea using stickers. It’s a super cute craft idea, isn’t it?!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE MY OTHER CANVAS CRAFTS:
BELOW, CLICK THE TITLE LINKS TO VIEW THE DOLLAR STORE CRAFTS SHARED FROM YOUR BLOGGER CO-HOSTS!
Dollar Tree Canvas Idea Using Stickers (that’s me)
Sharing my Mermaid Canvas Idea at the following fabulous blogs!