Are you ready to make your own winter decor? Of course you are! Let me show you how you can DIY a wooden snowman sign by simply using a Christmas ornament.
Snowflakes will be falling in my neck of the woods for the next couple of days, so what better time to get in the mood for making new decorations for winter. Since I have tons of unfinished wood in my craft stash, I decided to make a sign to hang as wall art for my seasonal decor.
This snowman craft idea is budget-friendly since I used a pre-made wooden snowman ornament that I purchased 50% off for $1.50, and the 5×7 wood plaque will cost you about $3.00.
Follow along as I show you how to paint your wood sign and how you can alter a snowman to fit your colors and style. I went for a rustic, distressed look and added a “let it snow” saying.
DIY WOODEN SNOWMAN SIGN
Before we get into the craft project details, let me tell you I’m participating in a monthly blogging challenge with a few of my fellow craft bloggers!
The challenge each month is themed and all projects must be inspired by a pin on one of our pinterest boards and also have some sort of a sustainable element to them. This could be an upcycling or recycling element, or something that reduces waste, uses leftovers etc..
Our theme this month is “Shopping our Stash,” so I dived into my overflowing wood stash to make my sign that’s loosely based on this rustic snowman. Be sure to check out my fellow blogger’s crafts at the end of this post. Don’t miss out!
- wood plaque
- snowman ornament
- scrap fabric
- black craft paint
- shades of brown craft paint
- artist paint brushes
- foam paint brush
- mod podge
- E-6000 glue
- sawtooth hanger (optional)
- hammer (optional)
HOW TO MAKE A DIY WOOD SNOWMAN SIGN
STEP 1: PAINT THE WOOD PLAQUE
- use foam brush to paint one coat on the back side, let dry
- paint one coat on back side bevel with black, let dry
- use brown shade to paint the remaining beveled edges, overlap a bit of brown on the front side, let dry
- use foam brush to paint one coat tan shade on the front side, let dry
STEP 2: ALTER THE SNOWMAN ORNAMENT
See photos below to view what I changed on my ornament and how the scarf pattern sequence looks.
- use artist brush to paint the color changes
- I used scissors to pop off the embellishment and to scrape the existing glue off (use with caution if you use this method!)
- peel off fabric scarf, trace to make pattern, cut out new scarf, apply Mod Podge to ornament, press new scarf on
STEP 3: DISTRESS THE WOOD AND ATTACH WALL HANGER
- rub sandpaper to distress all painted edges of the plaque until you get your desired rustic effect
- if you want to hang your sign, attach a sawtooth hanger on the back using a hammer
STEP 4: ADD A SAYING, PERSONALIZATION, OR WELCOME
Use a cutting machine to add your words or use the “old school” method:
- print out your selected words and font made in Word
- cut out your saying
- use pencil to rub graphite completely over the back side of the words
- place saying in desired spot on sign, tape down
- use pencil to trace the letters and the design will be transferred
- paint the letter using an artist brush
I hope this snowman craft idea gives you the inspiration to make your own winter wood sign. For more craft inspiration follow me on Pinterest!
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN SEEING MY POST FOR:
VIEW MORE BLOGGER CRAFT PROJECTS BELOW!