Pumpkin season is finally here and pumpkins are the stars of the stage everywhere you look, including my thrift store upcycled wood pumpkins. I have shelves in my basement that are dedicated to my thrift store finds and these thrifted wooden candle holders were screaming from their shelf asking for a pumpkin makeover…. and I obliged.
I’ve joined a group of talented bloggers who are sharing their upcycled projects at the end of my post. Be sure to click the links to view their upcycled creations. Don’t miss out!
- wooden candle holders ~ thrift store
- wood leaves ~ dollar tree
- craft paint ~ orange, green
- scissors ~ small blade
- mod podge
- floral wire
- glue gun
- foam brush
- artist brush
- acorn tops (cupules)
5 STEPS ~ THRIFT STORE UPCYCLED WOOD PUMPKINS
STEPS 1 ~ 2 ~ 3
1. Sand & paint the wooden candle holders. It took several coats of orange paint since the holders were dark wood. I layered paint until I could see the amount of brown that I wanted to keep in order to still have a rustic look.
2. After the paint dried, I applied mod podge with a foam brush to the candle holder lip. I wrapped the twine around the lip, securing the ends with mod podge.
TIP: Trim off the fly away twine fibers with scissors. I used tiny scissors for trimming.
3. Use the hot glue gun to insert the stick into the candle hole.
STEPS 4 AND 5
4. Paint the pumpkin leaves green. I used wood leaves from the Dollar Tree, which had foam stickers on the backside. Scrape off the stickers. Paint each side of the leaf green. I left the edges the original wood color. Make the vine curls using florist wire and use a pencil to create the vine curl and slide off of pencil. I carefully wrapped the wire around each leaf (see picture below.) Two leaves have one curl and the other two leaves have two curls on each leaf.
5. Use hot glue to attach each leaf and acorn tops (cupules).
I love how my upcycled wood pumpkins turned out, and they look perfect displayed with my painted thrift store flower vase. Does my pumpkin project inspire you to go thrifting to find items to upcycle into pumpkins?
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR BUDGET CRAFT AND HOME INSPIRATION
VIEW MORE UPCYCLED PROJECTS FROM THE FOLLOWING BLOG DESIGNERS:
- The Apple Street Cottage – Vintage Washboard Upcycle
- Pandora’s Box – Old Smoking Stand
- Little Vintage Cottage – Upcycled Pedestal Stand
- Purple Hues and Me – Updating a Soup Tureen
- Exquisitely Unremarkable – Vintage Surfboard Tray
- Our Hopeful Home – How to Paint Thomasville French
- Modern on Monticello – Serving Tray Makeover
- Cloches and Lavender – New Sconces and Fall Foyer
FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK FOR BLOG UPDATES
MORE THRIFT STORE UPCYCLES YOU MIGHT LIKE: